Seven Hills Historical Society


Timeline

Timeline

 

  • 1775 American Revolutionary War
  • 1795 : Independence Township formed from the Connecticut Land Company
  • 1812 : War of 1812
  • 1858 : St. Peter Evangelical Church founded. The first church in the Seven Hills area.
  • 1861 : American Civil War
  • 1861 : Schoolhouse built on land provided by the Zimmerman family. It was called the Independence Township School, District No. 2. The first teacher at the school was Emma Platt.
  • 1870 :  Tile factory on Pleasant Valley Road. John Perram, father of George Perram, one of Seven Hills original councilmen, owned the factory. The factory had a large stock of chimneys, a huge circular kiln, and large storage sheds. People purchased earthenware pipe and tile used to drain water from the farm land. The George Perram home still stands on Hillside Road.
  • 1894 : News and Herald (1 penny)
  • 1894 :  Cleveland Press (2 pennies)
  • 1898 : Spanish-American War
  • 1914 : World War I
  • 1900 : Cleveland Plain Dealer (1 penny)
  • 1909 : Cleveland Leader ( 1 penny)
  • 1909 : Broadview Road paved with brick
  • 1910 :  First telephones in the area
  • 1914 : Independence Village Incorporated
  • 1920 : Broadview Scool is built at 6195 Broadview Road.
  • 1921 :  First electricity to the area
  • 1922 :  First waterlines in the area
  • 1926 : Brooklyn News ( 1 penny)
  • 1926 :  First refrigerators in the area
  • 1927 : Seven Hills Village Incorporated
  • 1927 :  Small auto body shop on Broadview Road. Today is the K-Mart.
  • 1930 : First Police car is purchased for the city.
  • 1937 : First Jail is built.
  • 1939 : First police motorcycle is purchased for the city.
  • 1939 : World War II
  • 1943 : Volunteer Fire Department is established.
  • 1945 : New 500-gallon per minute pumper Fire truck is purchased for Fire Department.
  • 1946 :  First gasline in the area
  • 1953 : Seven Hills Fireman's Association presents the city with a cadillac ambulance.
  • 1955 : Seven Hills Elementary built on Summit View Road. The land was part of the Scherer family farm.
  • 1958 :  First traffic light at Broadview and Pleasant Valley Roads. 
  • 1958 : Hillside Junior High is built off Hillside Road. The land was origianlly part of the Scherer Family farm.
  • 1960 : Seven Hills United Methodist Church construction begins.
  • 1963 : Brookside Baptist Church construction is completed.
  • 1965 : Seven Hills News (free)
  • 1967 : John Glenn Elementary is built on Dartmoor Road.
  • 1970 : Parma Sun Post
  • 1975 : Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints construction completed.

Create a Free Website